Burr, David B., PhD
- B.A., Beloit College, 1973; graduated cum laude
- M.A., University of Colorado, 1974
- Ph.D., University of Colorado, 1977
- 1977-1978: Instructor in Gross Anatomy, Department of Anatomy, University of Kansas Medical Center
- 1978-1980: Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Department of Anatomy, University of Kansas Medical Center
- 1980-1983: Assistant Professor of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, Departments of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, West Virginia University Medical Center
- 1983-1986: Associate Professor of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, with tenure, Depts. of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, West Virginia University Medical Center.
- 1986-1990: Professor of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, Depts. of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery; and Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, West Virginia University Medical Center
- 1988-present: Collaborating Scientist, Caribbean Primate Research Center
- 1990-2010: Professor and Chair, Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology, and Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery, Indiana University Medical Center; Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, Department of Anthropology, IUPUI; Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, Department of Anthropology, Indiana University (2004-); Professor of Biomedical Engineering (IUPUI, 2002-) and Professor of Biomedical Engineering (2000- Courtesy, Purdue University); (Resigned Orthopaedic appt. 2010)
- 2011 – present: Professor, Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine; Professor of Biomedical Engineering (IUPUI, 2002-) and Professor of Biomedical Engineering (2000- Courtesy, Purdue University); Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, Department of Anthropology, IUPUI and Indiana University (2004-)
- 2010 – present: Center Faculty, Indiana Center for Translational Musculoskeletal Research, IUPUI
- The Orthopedic Research Society (ORS) - [Program Committee, 1990-91; Nominating Committee, 1998-99; Membership Committee, 2000-03, Chair, 2002-03; Panel VIII, Aging and Disability, Bone Structure and Function, 2000-02; Program Committee, 2003-2006 (Chair, 2005-2006); Education and Special Projects Committee, 2004-2005; President-Elect, 2007-2008; President, 2008-2009; Past-President, 2009-2011; Nominating Committee, (Chair, 2009-2010); Volunteer Appointments Committee (Chair, 2009-2010); Finance Committee, 2007-2010]
- American Association of Anatomists (AAA) - [Executive Board, 1998-2001; Archival Committee, 2001; Chair, Journal Trust Fund Committee, 2002-04; Strategic Planning Committee, 2002; Strategic Planning Oversight Committee, 2002- present; Finance Committee, 2002-2004; Journal Oversight Committee, 2003; ----- Secretary/Treasurer Task Force, 2003; Secretary-Treasurer, 2004-2005; Chair, Finance Committee, 2004-2008; Chair, Membership Committee, 2005-2007; President-Elect, 2005-2007; ----- President, 2007-2009; Past-President, 2009-2011; Nominating Committee (Chair, 2009-2010); Henry Gray Award Committee (Chair, 2009-2011); AAA/Wiley AJ Ladman Exemplary Service Award Committee (Chair, 2009-2011); Delegate to Section N of the AAAS, 2009-2010; Fellow, 2009; Chair, Fellows Circle, 2010-2013]
- Association of Anatomy, Neurobiology and Cell Biology Chairpersons - [President, 2001-2]
- Federation of Associated Societies of Experimental Biology (FASEB) - [Finance Committee, 2004-2008]
- International Bone and Mineral Society
- International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions - [Board of Directors, 1999-2000; 2002-04; 2006-present]
- American Society of Biomechanics - [Awards Committee, 1999]
- International Federation of Associations of Anatomists - [Delegate to General Assembly from AAA, 2009-2013]
- 1997 - Honorary Chairman, 27th International Sun Valley Hard Tissue Workshop
- 2002 - First Louis V. Avioli Best Article Award, Calcified Tissue International and Springer-Verlag (co-recipient with Jiliang Li and Tasuku Mashiba)
- 2008 - Borelli Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- 2010 - Glenn W. Irwin Jr., MD Distinguished Faculty Award
- 2010 - ASBMR Gideon A. Rodan Award for Excellence in Mentorship
Dr. Burr’s current research activities include evaluation of the effects of pharmacologic agents used to treat osteoporosis on properties associated with quality of the bone matrix, specifically, the accumulation and repair of microdamage, changes in mineralization and alterations to the collagenous matrix. He has for many years been a leader in studying the role of skeletal fatigue and microdamage-mediated remodeling in bone biomechanical and physiological adaptation. He is also studying the role that collagen cross-linking and maturity play in bone’s structural and material energy absorption capacity in diabetes, and investigating the possibility that use of inhibitors to non-enzymatic glycation of bone can improve biomechanical properties of bone. Finally, he is embarking on new studies to examine the role of sclerostin in the pathophysiology and repair of cartilage and bone in inflammatory, and osteo-, arthritis.
List of Current Research Projects:
- Remodeling suppression: Collagen effects on fracture energy. (National Institutes of Health, NIAMS)
Goal: To determine the role that collagen plays in bone’s fragility in Type II diabetes and osteoporosis
- Extent, causes and countermeasures of impaired fracture healing in hypogravity. (National Space Biomedical Research Institute, NSBRI).
Goal: To understand the fracture healing process in situations of disuse, and to determine the efficacy of PTH as a treatment to accelerate healing in hypogravity.
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: Bridging the clinical-preclinical gap.” (National Institutes of Health, NIAMS)
Goal: To develop an animal model for the condition of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw
- The role of sclerostin in repair of bone erosions in antigen-induced arthritis. (Amgen, Inc.)
Goal: To examine the role of sclerostin in preventing the healing of bone erosions in rheumatoid arthritis, and to determine whether treating with anti-sclerostin antibody can induce refilling.
- The effects of Raloxifene on bone’s material properties (MTA, Eli Lilly)
Goal: To test the effect of Raloxifene on bone material properties in a model deprived of cellular activity.
- 2010; Bisphosphonates do not inhibit periosteal bone formation in estrogen deficient animals and allow enhanced bone modeling in response to mechanical loading. A. Feher, A. Koivunemi, M. Koivunemi, R.K. Fuchs, D.B. Burr, R.J. Phipps, S. Reinwald, M.R. Allen. Bone 46:203-207.
- 2010; Morphological assessment of basic multicellular unit resorption parameters in dogs shows additional mechanisms of bisphosphonate effects on bone. M.R. Allen, A.M. Erickson, X. Wang, D.B. Burr, R. B. Martin, S.J. Hazelwood. Calcif Tiss Int 86:67-71.
- 2010; Cancer treatment dosing regimens of zoledronic acid result in near-complete suppression of mandible intracortical bone remodeling in beagle dogs. M.R. Allen, D.J. Kubek, D.B. Burr. J Bone Miner Res 25:98-105.
- 2010; Bisphosphonate treatment modifies canine bone mineral and matrix properties and their heterogeneity. S. Gourion-Arsuauaud, M.R. Allen, D.B. Burr, D. Vashishth, S. Y. Tang, lA.L. Boskey. Bone 46:666-672.
- 2010; Heritability of lumbar trabecular bone mechanical properties in baboons. L.M. Havill, M.R. Allen, T.L. Broadbenner, D.B.Burr, D.P. Nicolella, C.H.Turner,D.M. Warren, M.C.Mahaney. Bone 46:835-840.
- 2010; Cross-calibration of 45calcium kinetics against dynamic histomorphometry in a rat model to determine bone turnover. M. Shahnazari, D.B. Burr, W-H Lee, B.R. Martin, C.M. Weaver. Bone 46:1238-1243.
- 2010; Can deterministic mechanical size effects contribute to fracture and microdamage accumulation in trabecular bone? T. Siegmund, M.R. Allen, D.B. Burr. J Theoret Biol 265:202-210.
- 2010; One year of alendronate treatment lowers microstructural stresses associated with trabecular microdamage initiation. J.M. O’Neal, T. Diab, M.R. Allen, B. Vidakovic, D.B. Burr, R.E. Guldberg. Bone 47:241-247.
- 2010; Atypical subtrochanteric and diaphyseal femoral fractures: Report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. E. Shane, D. Burr (co-chairs) et al. (25 other co-authors). J Bone Miner Res 25:1-28.
- 2010; Ovariectomy stimulates and bisphosphonates inhibit intracortical remodeling in the mouse mandible. D.J. Kubek, D.B. Burr, M.R. Allen. Orthod Craniofac Res 13:214-222.
- 2010; Histomorphometric changes by teriparatide in alendronate-pretreated women with osteoporosis. J.J. Stepan, D.B. Burr, J. Li, Y.L. Ma, H. Petto, A. Sipos, H. Dobnig, A. Fahrleitner-Pammer, D. Michalská, I. Pavo. Osteoporos Int 21:2027- 2036.
- 2010; Compromised osseious healing of dental extraction sites in zoledronic acid-treated dogs. M.R. Allen, D.J. Kubek, D.B. Burr, S.L. Ruggiero, T.-M. G. Chu. Osteoporos Int 22:693-702.
- 2011; Effects of the combination treatment of raloxifene and alendronate on the biomechanical properties of vertebral bone. T. Diab, J. Wang, S. Reinwald, R.E. Guldberg, D.B. Burr. J Bone Miner Res 26:1-7.
- 2011; Contrast-enhanced micro-computed tomography of fatigue microdamage accumulation in human cortical bone. M.D. Landrigan, J. Li, T.L. Turnbull, D.B. Burr, G.L. Niebur, R.K. Roeder. Bone 48:443-450.